Skip to content

Social Work: Changing the World

Last updated on September 26, 2019

Would you like to make a difference in people’s lives? If so, studying social work at Eastfield College could be for you. There’s a lot more to becoming a social worker than you think. A social worker will need to be capable of a variety of skills, such as:

  • Active listening skills. As a social worker most of your role will be listening to others. It is important that you can listen to clients and be able to relate to their needs.
  • Critical thinking skills. You will work with clients from all different backgrounds and needs. You will need to be able to think outside the box to help clients.
  • Effective communication skills. As a social worker, it’s important to be able to read between the lines and connect with clients to understand where they are coming from.

There are other attributes we didn’t list above that will help if you want to go into social work, including sensitivity to others, organization skills, inner strength, tolerance and setting boundaries. Interested in learning more? Keep reading!

What Does a Social Worker Do?

Social workers listen and help others improve their lives in a variety of ways. As a direct-service social worker you might help others find a job or assist in applying for government aid. As a clinical social worker, you will help address mental health problems and addictions. Both roles offer several career options after graduation.

Jobs Available With an Associate Degree in Social Work:

Not sure if you want to pursue a bachelor’s or master’s degree just yet? Earning an associate degree may be your ticket to gaining valuable real-life experience before committing to another degree. A four-year degree is necessary to have a full career as a social worker, but an associate degree can help you get started. There are still great job opportunities available for entry-level positions:

  • Residential Counselor
  • Social Services Assistant
  • Preschool Teacher
  • Case Manager Assistant

What Degrees Are Offered Through Dallas Community Colleges?

We’re so glad you asked! We have degrees and certificates that fit your schedule. The degrees and certificates listed below are only offered at Eastfield College but you can take your basic courses at any of the seven colleges of DCCCD.

Social Work Associate-Generalist AAS options include general social services or specialized social services for chemical abuse or the aging and can be completed in two years, if you attend full-time.

Gerontology Certificate focuses on gerontology which is the study of the process of aging and can be paired with a variety of degree and certificate programs. You will study aging populations and how the population is growing more rapidly than any other population group.

Human Services Certificate assists associate degree majors in Social Work and Substance Abuse for cross-training of human services to aging clients. You will need to choose between Substance Abuse or Social Work courses to focus on.

Substance Abuse Counseling Associate of Applied Science degree is designed to prepare graduates to enter the human services field and provide special services to individuals and their families who are dealing with effects of substance abuse. Upon completion of the program you will have the educational requirements to become eligible for testing and licensure as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor.

Mental Health/Substance Abuse Prevention Certificate provides cross-training for helping professionals in faith-based communities and social services agencies. This certificate focuses on co-occurring disorders.

Substance Abuse Counseling Certificate provides cross-training for helping interdisciplinary professionals and trains you for employment as a counselor intern.

What Other Career Options Are Available?

There are three main categories of social work: child, family and school social workers; medical and public health social workers; and mental health and substance abuse social workers. Career placement will depend on your level of education and experience, but we listed a few jobs that you could land after graduation with a bachelor’s or master’s degree.

  • Child, family and school social worker
  • Clergy
  • Counselor
  • Substance abuse counselor
  • Probation officers and correctional treatment specialists

What If I Want to Transfer to a University?

If you want to transfer to a university, you’ve come to the right place! Dallas Community Colleges can help you transfer to a four-year institution with ease. Visit our Transfer Services website for more information about the transfer process.

Keep in mind that social work and substance abuse counseling courses are designed for direct entry into the workforce.

How Do I Become Licensed in Social Work?

If you are interested in becoming a licensed social worker, you’re in luck! Texas social work licensure will open a future for your career. Earning your bachelor’s in social work prepares you to apply for entry-level licensure in Texas. If you should decide to take one step further and get your master’s degree, you have the option to work in both clinical and non clinical career opportunities. The Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners (TSBSWE) regulates the profession of social work in Texas. The Board currently issues three licenses: Licensed Baccalaureate Social Worker (LBSW), Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) and Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).

Getting Started:

First, you need to decide which degree or certificate best fits your interest. Then, complete the admissions process and meet with an academic advisor at Eastfield College.

A guided pathway will help you earn college credentials and build a career. Check out the Social Work Associate-Generalist Guided Pathway to Success.

While you’re here, you should also consider checking out our previous programs of the month.

Published inCreditPrograms