We know that you have a lot going on so we’ve put a list together of what you need to know for the upcoming fall semester!
1. Deadline to Register is Wednesday, Aug. 22
Fall 2018 registration is underway, and we are quickly approaching—go time. The clock is ticking and Wednesday, Aug. 22 is the last day you can register for 16-week classes. Still unsure what classes to take? Head over to the Fall 2018 class schedule to check it out. Please keep in mind Aug. 22 is a solid deadline because there is no late registration at the colleges DCCCD — so don’t take a chance and register as soon as possible. We realize that things come up and you may miss the deadline and if you do, be sure to look into Flex Term, Wintermester or Spring 2019 classes.
2. Need Help Selecting a Career Path?
Have you heard about Guided Pathways? A guided pathway is more specific— it focuses on the specific classes needed to complete a degree or certificate. Whether you’re a new or a current student, a guided pathway is a clear, concise map that takes you through each step of your college journey and helps you transition to a four-year school or enter the job market.
Guided pathways are available within each of the seven career paths offered at the colleges of DCCCD.
You can choose from the following career paths:
- Arts, Humanities, Communications & Design
- Health Services
- Industry, Manufacturing & Construction
- Social Sciences & Public Service
- STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics)
3. Some Colleges Will Have Extended Registration Hours to Accommodate Student Schedules
It’s true! Some colleges of the DCCCD will have later hours for registration during the week, and all colleges will be open Aug. 22 so you can still register in-person.
Colleges Observing Extended Hours on Saturday, Aug. 18:
- Brookhaven – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Cedar Valley – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Eastfield – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Eastfield Pleasant Grove – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- El Centro – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- El Centro West – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Mountain View – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- North Lake – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- North Lake’s North Campus – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- North Lake’s South Campus – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Richland – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Dallas Community Colleges Navigators and Success Coaches will be available on Saturday!
Can’t Make It to Saturday Registration? No Worries, Some Colleges Are Offering Later Registration Times:
- Brookhaven – Through Aug. 16, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Eastfield – Through Aug. 16, 8 a.m.-7 p.m.; Aug. 17, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Aug. 20-21, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. and Wednesday, Aug. 22 until 9 p.m.
- Mountain View – Through Aug. 16, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. and Aug. 20-22, 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
- North Lake – Through Aug. 16, 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. and Aug. 20-22, 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m.
- North Lake’s North Campus – Through Aug. 16, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Friday, Aug. 17 open until 2 p.m. and Aug. 20-22, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- North Lake’s South Campus – Through Aug. 16, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Friday, Aug. 17 open until 2 p.m. and Aug. 20-22, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Richland – Through Aug. 16, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Aug. 17, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Aug. 20-22, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
4. Miss the Registration Deadline? Consider Flex Term or Wintermester
Flex Term classes are offered throughout the year and last for various lengths of time. We offer a variety of “flexible term” classes that don’t necessarily start with the rest of the Fall 2018 semester, so the deadlines to register vary. Another option might be Wintermester (the schedule isn’t out yet, but it will be a little later this year). Wintermester classes are considered part of the Spring 2019 semester, and they’re fast paced. When we say fast, we aren’t kidding! They begin and conclude between the fall and spring semesters, usually from about mid-December to early January.
5. If You Haven’t Had a Meningitis Vaccination, You Need One!
You need to get a meningitis vaccination, it’s the law! The state of Texas requires all college students under the age of 22 to receive a meningitis vaccination. This requirement applies to:
- All first-time credit students
- All new transfer credit students
- All returning students who have experienced a break in enrollment of at least one fall or spring semester
- New and returning continuing education students enrolled in programs that are at least 360 contact hours or greater
- Distance education students who live in Texas (based on actual mailing address. A Post Office box cannot be used as proof of residency.)
- Dual Credit, Middle College, Early College and/or Charter High School students attending classes at the college
- Continuing Education students enrolled in a concurrent credit course(s)
Not sure where to get the meningitis vaccine? There are several ways that you can get your meningitis vaccination.
- Your local pharmacy — such as Walgreens, CVS, Kroger, etc.
- Your primary care doctor can give you the vaccination or provide information on where to get it.
- Dallas County Health and Human Services department is another option with a variety of locations available.
Note: There are a few situations where exceptions or exemptions may be made, depending on various circumstances. You can read more about these exemptions on the colleges of DCCCD website.
6. Nervous About Finding Your Way Around Campus?
No worries! You can download the DCCCD app which can help you find your way around campus. Don’t have a smart phone? We have you covered as well! Campus maps for all seven of our colleges are available online.
7. Interested in a Free Ride to Class?
Are you a current student who would like a free ride to class? If you answered yes, you’re in luck! Check out the eligibility requirements and other details. Don’t forget to download the new DART GoPass before classes start on Aug. 27!
Here’s how to sign up:
- To request your Student GoPass, fill out the My DART GoPass Application form on eConnect under “My Personal Information.”
- Next, say cheese and have your photo taken at your college campus.
- Then, don’t forget to download the new GoPass app on your phone. The app is free from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Finally, open the GoPass app and register your phone number.
- You’re all done! Your college will verify your information and, once verified, your Student GoPass will automatically appear when you open the new Dart GoPass app.
Other Helpful Student Resources
- Need Help With Financial Aid? We get it, financial aid can be confusing and frustrating at times. We have a step by step process mapped out for you. If you should get turned around and need help, contact us at 972-587-2599 or if calling isn’t your thing, send us an email at email@example.com.
- How Much Will Tuition Cost? Tuition and college fees can be overwhelming and it is sometimes hard to narrow down exactly how much a class will cost. Use our tuition calculators to take the guessing game out of tuition costs.