It’s never too early for summer camp plans! Thankfully, five of the colleges of DCCCD can help with classes, projects and learning opportunities that are fun for all ages.
Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, Mountain View and Richland will offer classes from art to tae kwon do, science to soccer, and music to Minecraft for a variety of prices on schedules that fit both parents’ and children’s needs.
Programs for each participating DCCCD college are listed below, along with contact information for the continuing education office at those locations for registration and payment details.
Brookhaven College Summer Camps in Farmers Branch
- Cake Decorating (ages 10-13 from July 10-14)
- Creative Writing — Short Stories (ages 8-12 from July 10-14 and July 24-28)
- Digital Photography Using Photoshop (ages 8-12 from July 17-21 and also for ages 13-17 from July 5-7)
- Drone Build-and-Fly Camp (ages 14-18 from July 10-13)
- Finding Your Inner Hero for Girls (ages 11-14 from July 17-21)
- Future Leaders (ages 11-14 from July 10-14 and July 24-28)
- Just Add Water (ages 7-13 from July 17-21)
- Paint Club (ages 7-13 from July 24-28)
- Super Hero Cartooning (ages 7-13 from July 5-7)
- Theater for Youth (ages 8-12 from July 17-21).
For general information about Brookhaven’s summer youth programs, call 972-860-4600. Registration is underway. Parents can register in person at the college’s admissions office or by phone at 972-860-4715 (please have course information and a valid credit card ready). All students must complete the continuing education registration form, DCCCD minor student form and photo release form which are available on campus or online at Brookhaven’s website. Brookhaven is located at 3939 Valley View Lane in Carrollton/Farmers Branch.
Cedar Valley College Summer Camps in Lancaster
Cedar Valley offers summer camps that focus on fun, learning and kids at its satellite location in Cedar Hill, located at 207 N. Cannady Drive in Lancaster.
Cedar Valley at Cedar Hill will offer the following classes:
- Cybersecurity for Girls: STEM Camp (for girls ages 12-14 from July 10-13)
- Photoshop (ages 8-12 and 13-17 from July 10-14)
- Inspiring Young Entrepreneurs (ages 8-12 and 13-17 from July 17-21)
- Code Breakers (ages 8-12 and 13-17 from July 24-28)
- Math Connection/Algebra I Boot Camp (ages 8-12 and 13-17 from July 31-Aug. 4)
Costs range from $25 to $125 for most activities. For information and registration, contact the Cedar Valley office of continuing education at 972-860-7800.
Eastfield College Summer Camps in Mesquite
Camp Harvey at Eastfield gives students the boost they need to become community leaders; the program is an organic, inventive and stimulating learning experience for youths ages 7 to 11, 11 to 14 and 15 to 17. Kids will learn through fun, creative and intuitive themes in a STEAM-based curriculum (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics).
Sessions and STEAM themes will include (but aren’t limited to):
- Lego Comics: Design Your Own Adventure (ages 8-11 and 12-14 from July 10-14 and July 17-21)
- The Minecraft Series (ages 8-11 and 12-14 from June 19-23, June 27-July 1, and July 31-Aug. 4)
- Digital Storytellers (ages 8-11 and 12-14 from June 12-16)
- Code Breakers (ages 8-11 from June 19-23)
- Toy Designers: Make Your First Toy (ages 8-11 and 12-14 from July 10-14 and July 17-21)
- Creative Drama (ages 8-11 and 12-14 from June 19-23, July 17-21 and July 24-28)
- Improv (ages 8-11 and 12-14 from June 19-23, July 17-21 and July 24-28)
- Interactive Sculptures of Interdisciplinary Artist Shih Chieh Huang (ages 15-17 from June 12-16)
- Fun with Crafts (ages 5-7 from June 12-16, June 19-23, July 24-28 and Aug. 7-11)
- Star Wars Stop Animation (ages 8-11 and 12-14 from June 12-16)
- Easy and Fun Programming Using Raspberry PI (ages 12-14 and 15-17 from June 26-30)
- CSI Crime Scene Academy Camp for Youth (ages 12-14 and 15-17 from July 10-14 and July 17-21)
- Engineering for Life (ages 12-14 and 15-17 from June 12-16, June 26-30 and July 25-29)
That’s not all, either! Camp Harvey will also include physical education classes, swimming clinics and more; check the schedule on Eastfield’s website for the full listing.
The registration fee for each class covers the cost of breakfast and lunch. To register, call the college’s continuing education office at 972-860-7263 (please have a valid credit card ready), or visit the continuing education admissions office in room 119 of Building C (Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. or on Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or online. Eastfield is located at 3737 Motley Dr. in Mesquite.
Mountain View College Summer Camps in Dallas/Oak Cliff
The 2017 summer youth classes at Mountain View College invite students to have an adventure as they learn. The college will offer academic classes in “Reading, Writing and Math Camps” in separate sessions for youngsters who have completed first through seventh grade.
Other courses include:
- Creating Ceramics (ages 13-16, July 10-20)
- Ballet (beginners, ages 4-5, 6-8 and 9-11, all from June 17-Aug. 12)
- Lego Designer (ages 4-7 from July 3-7)
- Lego Expert (ages 8-12 from July 3-7)
- Lego: Wheels, Wings and Motorized Things (ages 5-7 and 8-12, both from July 3-7)
- Guitar for Youth (ages 8-10 from June 14-Aug. 2 and ages 11-13 from June 15-Aug. 3)
- Gymnastics – Tumbling (ages 4-5, 6-8 and 9-11, all from June 17-Aug. 12)
- Tae Kwon Do (ages 7-11 from June 26-Aug. 9)
- Tennis for Beginners (ages 7-17 from June 10-July 1)
- Intermediate Tennis for Kids (ages 7-17 from July 8-29)
- The Art of Living: Personal Style (ages 7-17 from June 6-27)
- Body Image, Media and Your Self-Esteem (ages 7-17 from June 5-26)
- Leader in ME: Leadership Skills for Young People (ages 7-17 from July 12-Aug. 8)
- Modeling for Young People (ages 7-17 from July 3-24)
- Proper Manners and Etiquette for Young People (ages 7-17 from Aug. 7-16)
- Spanish Mini-Camp for completers from grades 1-5 (July 31-Aug. 17)
- Swimming Lessons (for water babies, toddlers, beginners and advanced beginners, based on age; offered on a variety of schedules)
Check out the full summer youth schedule on Mountain View’s website. Registration is under way and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Many classes have limited spaces. Register in person at the continuing education office admissions window, located on the second level of the Student Services Building on the West Campus (the Illinois Avenue and Duncanville Road entrance), on Monday and Thursday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. To register by phone, call 214-860-8835; MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express are accepted. Mountain View College is located at 4849 W. Illinois Ave. in Dallas.
Richland College Summer Camps in Richardson/Dallas
Richland College is offering TexPREP (the Texas Prefreshmen Engineering Program), an academically intense, mathematics-based summer enrichment program that lasts for six weeks. Students can continue to pursue TexPREP for three summers, each year building on what they learned the previous year.
The program includes coursework, team presentations, career awareness seminars and field trips. The core curriculum includes:
- Logic and its Application to Math
- Introduction to Engineering
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Problem Solving
The program also includes career awareness seminars, research and study time. The Texas Education Agency has approved one unit of high school elective credit for each summer a student successfully completes TexPREP.
The program will be offered June 12 through July 21 and the deadline to apply is May 6. Classes meet Monday through Friday at Richland, located at 12800 Abrams Road in Dallas. TexPREP is free, and lunch is provided. Interested students must apply and be accepted. Call Tanisha Johnson at 972-238-6150 or Jean Carter at 972-761-6736 for more information.
- Interested in continuing your own education this summer? Check out the Summer 2017 schedule at DCCCD to see a full list of options.
- Not sure where the admissions or continuing education office is on a particular campus? Visit our website for campus maps.