Concealed carry, also known as “campus carry” takes effect at Texas community colleges in 2017. Here’s what you need to know about the new law.
What is Concealed Carry/“Campus Carry”?
SB 11, known as Concealed Carry or “Campus Carry”, permits a licensed to carry (LTC) holder to carry a concealed handgun on or about his or her person on the campus of an institution of higher education in Texas.
When Does Texas Concealed Carry/“Campus Carry” Go Into Effect?
Signed by the governor in June 2015, the law went into effect for four-year colleges and universities on Aug. 1, 2016. The law is effective for Dallas County Community College District and other community colleges in Texas beginning Aug. 1, 2017.
What Does Concealed Carry/“Campus Carry” Allow?
SB 11 permits licensed to carry (LTC) holders to carry concealed handguns on campuses. It also allows an institution to adopt rules or regulations that prohibit license holders from carrying concealed handguns on certain areas of campus, in a building or portion of a building, as long as the rules and regulations do not have the effect of generally prohibiting a license holder from carrying a concealed handgun on campus. Effective notice must be provided with respect to any place where handguns may not be carried.
What Does Concealed Carry/“Campus Carry” Not Allow?
The law does not allow “Open Carry” on college campuses. Open carry refers to the intentional display of a handgun, including the carry of a partially or wholly visible handgun stored in a shoulder or belt holster. The law also does not allow the carry of rifles or shotguns on college campuses.
Questions? Attend a Concealed Carry Community Forum
In order to allow for feedback and answer questions, DCCCD is hosting a series of community forums about concealed carry. These events are free and open to the public.
- Brookhaven Concealed Carry Forum — 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 12 in Building H, room 125
- Cedar Valley Concealed Carry Forum — 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 18; Building G
- Eastfield Concealed Carry Forum — 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 8 at the Pleasant Grove campus and 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 16 at Eastfield’s main campus; building and room TBD
- El Centro Concealed Carry Forum — 12:30 pm. on Wednesday, Jan. 25 and 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 2 in the Performance Hall
- North Lake Concealed Carry Forum — 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 24 in the Building H, room 200
- Richland Concealed Carry Forum — 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 31 in Sabine Hall, room 118
Students, faculty, staff, administrators and the campus community are welcome to attend these events as an opportunity to provide input regarding the DCCCD Concealed Carry policy. A brief survey will also be available online for students, faculty, staff, administrators and the campus community in the near future. In the mean time, our Frequently Asked Questions About Concealed Carry page is also available to help answer questions and provide clarification.