Easier the Second Time, by Winifred Bell

Last updated on October 9, 2019

Winifred is a Cedar Valley student studying for an associate of arts degree and a future University of Texas at Arlington student. She has worked in the special education department of the Dallas Independent School District for the past 12 years.

I thought that returning back to school after being out for over 20 years would be difficult, but it was the total opposite. I have so enjoyed being back in the rat race of project deadlines, exam crams and wild goose chase book hunts. It seems as if the second time around is so much better. You’re more mature, better focused and have more time to concentrate now that you’re older with less distractions.

I know back in my college days I had a full plate. I had Friday night parties, Saturday night football games, and Sunday cookouts with friends. It seems like things move so fast and you just don’t have enough time and it’s hard to focus.

Once the years fly by and you look back and realize that if you would have focused, been more proactive in your studies, and held yourself accountable, then you would have completed your education and received your degree. But things don’t always work out that way; however, the second time around can be much easier.

It may seem difficult managing home, work, the kids, and school but if you prioritize you can do it. Put what matters first and go from there. Pace yourself, don’t bite off more than you can chew, and make sure you’re really prepared to take on going back to school. It can be easier the second time around if you’re focused, organized, and prepared.

Big thanks to Winifred for telling us more about what it’s like to return to college as an adult! If you’d like, you can also browse our archives for more student blogger posts.

Published inWhy Dallas College?