What Students are Saying About Computer Information Technology at DCCCD

Last updated on September 16, 2019

Thinking about studying Computer Information Technology? Find out what other DCCCD students are saying about the program.

How did you become interested in studying Computer Information Technology?

Nisreen Almasri, Cedar Valley alumna
Nisreen Almasri, Cedar Valley alumna

Nisreen Almasri: “I enjoy the craft of writing a set of commands or instructions that can later be compiled and transformed into a user-friendly program. I also find great joy in designing websites by using different kinds of graphic skills and a variety of multimedia software to create elegant, lifelike images. Moreover, I enjoy teaching a variety of computer skills.”

Tommy Alsbrooks: “I’ve always loved working with computers ever since I took my first computer class in high school many years ago.”

Tommy Alsbrooks, Eastfield alumnus
Tommy Alsbrooks, Eastfield alumnus

Christopher C. Haley: “After I graduated from high school, I knew I wanted to be in the IT industry. I had a decent start already as a technician for a public school district. It was obvious I would learn a lot in the field, and I wanted to enhance that learning with a good college education focused on that industry.”

Vernessa Williams, Mountain View alumna
Vernessa Williams, Mountain View alumna

JohnThomas Reed: “In the summer of 1996, after 20 years in the food and beverage industry, I started looking around for different options for education and training that would enable me to change my career. I had already had some IT training over the years at other colleges and had self-taught many of the computer skills I possessed.”

Vernessa Williams: “My best friend taught me how to build computers, and I wanted to go into that field. I discovered that I had a knack for understanding programming, and I was given a chance to start teaching computer courses. Then I got into Web design, which fascinated me and gave me a whole new love.”

Why did you choose Dallas County Community Colleges to study Computer Information Technology?

Nisreen Almasri: “It was easy to become friends with fellow students, instructors and co-workers at DCCCD. Being an international student with English as a second language was not easy, but Cedar Valley College has helped me learn how to be more confident because of the great support that I have experienced.”

Tommy Alsbrooks:Eastfield College allowed me to realize my career dreams. The instructors were great. They really knew their stuff and brought real-world experiences to the classroom.”

Alexandra Bohorquez, North Lake alumna
Alexandra Bohorquez, North Lake alumna

Alexandra Bohorquez: “The best part of my experience at North Lake College was to meet competent teachers who promote investigation, which is an important skill to develop since technology changes every second. Most of the knowledge I got at North Lake I’ve applied at my work. It was a good starting point.”

Christopher C. Haley: “Originally, I was not aware of the exceptional CIT program that North Lake had, but soon I realized that I had made the right decision by enrolling there.

“The staff made it extremely easy to decide on a degree plan and was there to assist me the entire way. I would say that the friendly and knowledgeable staff was definitely my favorite part of the program. I’m a firm believer that the professor ultimately determines how much a student learns, and at North Lake, the professors redefined the meaning of the word ‘school.’ Studying was no longer a chore; it was an activity that I looked forward to. Learning was no longer hit-and-miss; it was a guarantee. I knew my professors would be there to help me learn everything I needed and did so with a positive attitude.”

Chris Haley, North Lake alumnus
Chris Haley, North Lake alumnus

JohnThomas Reed: “I chose DCCCD since many of my friends and colleagues had attended and obtained their training and/or degrees from DCCCD, and their knowledge and skills were very well-respected. They also spoke highly of the quality of education and training they had received from DCCCD.”

Danny R. Starnes: “Eastfield offered very knowledgeable, caring instructors whose entire focus was to help me succeed. I strongly recommend DCCCD for anyone looking for a great start to a fulfilling career.”

Vernessa Williams: “My instructors were the best part of my DCCCD experience. Going back to school was a scary thing for me at my age, but all of my instructors were willing to take me on. Doug Keenen became a mentor to me, and it was Gemmy Allen whose eCommerce classes really interested me in Web design.

JohnThomas Reed, El Centro alumnus
JohnThomas Reed, El Centro alumnus

“My DCCCD education gave me a love to teach and share what I know. I’ve learned so much here — the faculty show you things that just aren’t in the book because they bring real-world experience to the classroom.”

How did your Computer Information Technology degree help your career?

Tommy Alsbrooks: “After I received my associate degree, my career skyrocketed. It opened doors for me that I never thought were possible unless you had a bachelor’s degree. The most notable accomplishment was when I was recently promoted to assistant vice president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.”

Christopher C. Haley: “The fact that I had a career and not just a job, four years’ experience in the IT industry and an associate degree by the age of 22 is quite an accomplishment, I think.”

Danny Starnes, Eastfield alumnus
Danny Starnes, Eastfield alumnus

JohnThomas Reed: “To my unending delight and pride, my second year as a student at El Centro College, I received the Microsoft Student Technology Champion award, which included a substantial cash stipend. I owe this wonderful stroke of good fortune to the faculty and administrators at El Centro, since it was they who promoted and recommended me for the award and served as great agents. I was able to devote more time and energy to my studies, and shortly thereafter I was hired to work at El Centro in the main computer lab, serving as help desk assistant and troubleshooter for students and faculty.”

Danny R. Starnes: “DCCCD opened many doors for me. I was unable to attend college right after high school, so I ended up working dead-end jobs for little pay. The decision to go to college was the best decision I ever made. Shortly before graduating, I was already making more money than I had ever dreamed possible. Over the last few years, I have quadrupled my salary using the skills I first learned at Eastfield College.”

Apply for Admission Today

Browse the full DCCCD course schedule on eConnect.

Published inCreditProgramsWhy Dallas College?