Meet Amanda Krebs, Child Development Student of the Week

photo of Amanda KrebsAmanda Krebs studied Child Development at Brookhaven College, where she also made the connections leading to her job as an assistant teacher at Akiba Academy of Dallas.

Her love for her nieces and nephews helped influence her passion for watching children develop and learn, which is why she’s our Child Development Student of the Week!

Amanda said, “What I’ve found fascinating in my Child Development classes is how kids learn. Dr. Rowe and Mr. Castro are just the best — they’re so supportive and open that I can talk to them about anything. I really love the professors; I think they’re the highlight of the program.

“I’ve learned so much in the classroom that I take to my job: especially the teaching aspects and how to get down on a child’s level, understanding the different age groups and what children can and can’t do at a certain age.

“What’s been most fun about my studies is how laid back it is in the classroom. It’s a great teaching method, having such a relaxed style. We can do fun or silly group activities, and we’re still learning. In fact, we’re learning more because we’re seeing things from the kids’ point of view.

“I think that’s one reason that I like and think I’m good at this job: I’m laid back, too. You have to have patience to work with small children — I work with toddlers 18 months to two years old — and not get stressed out when things need to change to work well. I have biters and hitters in my class, and though it would be easy to get stressed out, it goes much better if you’re an easygoing person. My advice to anyone starting this program? Be open to change and go with the flow!”

More Information About Child Development Programs at DCCCD

Published inCreditProgramsStudent Success StoryWhy DCCCD?

Be First to Comment