The Injustice in “Just”: Why I’m Not “Just” a Community College Student

ElissaColich2written by Elissa Colich, a fall student blogger and Dallas Colleges Online student

Earlier this year at a nonprofit event, I was asked what I did for the organization, and my response was, “Oh no, I’m just a volunteer.” To my surprise, the inquirer leaned in close and sternly, but genuinely, told me to never say I was “just” a volunteer. I took that to heart.

When asked where I go to school, I still find myself saying that I am “just” at a community college. I hear it from many students within the Dallas County Community Colleges, regardless of the fact that we (as well as the public) are aware of the high-quality education that we are receiving.

DCCCD is full of well-educated professors, many with Ph.D.s, and as much as the pictures and stories depict tons of fun in college, there is much more to college than parties, popular sports teams and Greek life.

It is time to stop saying we are “just” community college students who are “just” trying to get good grades in order to transfer to a “real” school.

Remember, there isn’t “just” one successful person to have attended a community college! We are all success stories, and we aren’t “just” any one thing.

More Information

***Read all of our student blogger posts. Are you interested in being a student blogger? Send us an email at socialteam@dcccd.edu.

Please follow and like us:
Published inWhy DCCCD?

4 Comments

1. Lindsay Musgrove Lindsay Musgrove

I liked this article. When someone asked what college I went to I would say “Oh, I just goto a community college right now”. Although I didn’t have higher expectations or hopes for myself either. Not only do I now have higher expectations and hopes, I don’t say the “just” part anymore.

• Joanna Joanna

So glad you liked the post and that you have big hopes for yourself! It’s easy to say we’re “just” going to community college or we’re “just” getting an associate’s degree, but we’re all actually trying to do something with our lives, get jobs and be successful.

2. To bad you cannot do very much with an associates degree. I would consider “just a [fill in the blank]” very appropriate. However if you are moving further in your education for a Bachelors than hey please don’t use “Just a [fill in the blank]”. : )

• Joanna Joanna

We have to disagree with you there. Lots of jobs require training or certificates or associate degrees rather than bachelor’s degrees. We have students in several of our programs who get jobs before they’re completely finished with their degree or certificate because their skills are so sought after.