One Year Down, One Year to Go (By Our Student Blogger)

Last updated on August 25, 2017

photo of Betty TuttassWe’re excited to welcome back Betty Tuttass, one of our spring student bloggers. 

As I slowly walk down the hallway of my government class and glance over, a handful of students are taking their last final exams and I think: “This is it. I officially made it through my first year of college.”

Just five minutes ago, I turned in my last final exam and now I am sitting in the cafeteria reminiscing about this past year while nibbling on a sandwich. A feeling of relief, excitement and accomplishment overwhelms me.

Just a year ago, I was at Flower Mound High school anxiously getting ready for my graduation. Just a year ago, I made the decision to attend North Lake College, not knowing what adventures and opportunities would lie ahead of me. Looking back on this past year, I am absolutely speechless.

Being at North Lake has taught me to make use of every opportunity. For example:

• Over my Spring Break, I was able to go to Six Flags for the very first time with a group from the International Club.
  • I was able to learn about scholarship and service opportunities by being a member of Phi Theta Kappa.
  • I was chosen as a LeCroy scholar.
  • I was able to visit the Terrell State Hospital with fellow psychology lovers by being a member of Psi Beta, North Lake’s Psychology Honor Society.
  • I was able to build relationships with my professors, who have served me as mentors.

My level of respect and admiration for all of the professors that I have had the pleasure to meet is beyond words. These people are truly what made my first year at North Lake unforgettable. These professors have helped me succeed by providing me with an endless amount of support, inspiration and patience.

All of these memories and achievements would not have been possible if it wasn’t for North Lake. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at North Lake and can not wait to be back in the fall for my second and last year at North Lake.

Towards the end of the summer, I will be an orientation leader for our new fall students so if you are a prospective student at North Lake, I hope to see you there!

Until next time,

Betty

***Read all of our student blogger posts. Are you interested in being a student blogger? Send us an email at socialteam@dcccd.edu.

Published inWhy Dallas College?